Tuesday, May 11, 2010

What Does Your Day Look Like?

I'm a very visual person. I think that's what you call it. I need to VISUALIZE what has to happen before I can make it happen. (That's probably why I can't follow recipes or tutorials...I just skip to the end and guess how to get there.)

That said...motherhood? Isn't very straight forward. I suppose my goal is to raise a couple of humans that other humans enjoy being around. Good manners, law-abiding, all of that. How to get there kind of escapes me. I have a three and a one year old. I would assume that all they want to do is play, but...that just doesn't seem to be the case all the time. We need a schedule...but it needs to be flexible.

I need to play with them, to make sure the house stays relatively sanitary, to get food prepared for the hungry bellies that live under my roof and to carve out some time for me to work on my crafts. (No, that last one probably isn't a Necessary Item...but, for right now, it's a Sanity Saving Item...so it stays.)

What am I missing? What do Moms DO all day? Yes, we're busy. Yes, we're raising the next generation. But...what do we DO.

So, here's an invitation - I would love to know what you do all day. Especially moms with an all Pre-Kindergarten set...but I know I won't be in this stage forever, so tell me what you do anyways. WHAT DO YOU DO ALL DAY.

Thanks.

PS - If nobody comments to my satisfaction, I WILL hunt you down for "interviews." Be warned. If you could see me right now, I've got that Crazy Glint in my eye...and I won't rest until I get this question answered!

4 comments:

  1. Alright, this isn't pretty. Here's today.
    5:15 wake up while J takes a shower
    5:30 hear M wake up
    5:40 stop ignoring M and bring her to my bed to nurse
    5:45 say hello to E

    6:30 eat my oatmeal
    7:00-9:00 more computer time for Mom, kids were oddly quiet this morning, playing in their rooms. Took E 2 full hours to get dressed
    9:00 leave for Joy School, we're 10 minutes early
    9:20 drop E off at Joy School
    9:30-11:00 drop a folder off at J's work, library, Mill's Music, get phone call that changed my life, cry on the sidewalk, purchase plain yogurt
    11:00 call sister and scare the snot out of her
    11:30 go inside and help Joy School mom clean up/finish up art projects/thank her profusely for feeding M (the high chair is M's first stop whenever we go to this house.)
    12:15-12:30 drive home from Joy School
    12:30-12:50 E eats lunch, M refuses sandwich and spills soy milk. Change M's diaper, nurse.
    1:00 E pees on the floor in the bathroom.
    1:05 put M to bed
    1:10 put E to bed
    I'll spend until 2:30 or 3:30 dealing with e-mails and doing quiet things.
    4:00-5:00 teach piano
    5:00-5:30 make dinner
    5:30-6:00 eat dinner
    6:30 baths
    7:00 scriptures and bed time stuff
    7:30 tuck the girls in bed
    Evenings I might go for a run, check e-mails and blogs, fold laundry, finish the dishes, sew, etc. Mostly I just go for a run, veg for a while, then take a shower and go to bed around 11:00. M eats around midnight or 12:30, and we get up at 5:30 the next morning and start over!
    What do you think of my Tuesday?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I rescue people. From my kids, my husband, my friends and family. Otherwise, I am being rescued. That is what women do.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey there! I noticed some hits on my sitemeter from your blog, so I thought I'd jump over and check it out. Cute blog! I have a 1 year old and we have more of a day of the week schedule. Mondays is laundry and shopping day, tuesday we babysit and have church stuff, wednesday is cleaning and play dates, thursday is library day and friday is fun at the park or swimming day. Naptimes and meals vary based on what day it is. Saturday we do stuff w/ daddy and run errands, Sunday is church and visiting grandparents and cousins. It gives us both something to look forward to all week!

    ReplyDelete
  4. When I had just little ones at home it was a daily routine of eat, clean, get dressed, go somewhere (museums, zoo, library, grocery store, parks, etc), lunch while we are out, home for naps (and wonderful mommytime), then it was playtime, cleaning, and then TV while mom makes dinner, then eat and night time routine.

    Now that I have older kids in school a lot of what we do revolves around school. My poor little babies are totally neglected until the last kid is in school and then there is just enough time for cleaning, playtime, naps, and dinner prep. Then the older kids come home and my world revolves around homework till dinner and then it's time for bed.

    I miss having all that extra time with the babies. Cherish it and make the most of it.

    ReplyDelete